WHAT IS STANDARD?
Introduction to standards
A STANDARD is a document that provides requirements, specifications, guidelines or characteristics that can be used consistently to ensure that materials, products, processes and services are fit for their purpose.
A document approved by a recognized body that provides, for common and repeated use, rules, guidelines or characteristics for products and their related processes or production methods, with which compliance is not mandatory.
Standard is designed for VOLUNTARY use and DOES NOT impose any mandatory requirements It can be referred to, in setting laws contracts, and regulations. LAWS and REGULATIONS may refer to certain standards and make COMPLIANCE with them obligatory.
BENEFITS OF USING STANDARDS
- To facilitate trade
- A mechanism for technology transfer
- A protection for health, environment, safety, and Islamic consumer needs
- Efficiency – productivity and cost reduction
- Communication and mutual agreement
- To support regulatory framework